Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Flashbacks

I haven't written on here in a few weeks, and sometimes its just because I have nothing new to say that hasn't already been written. But tonight I felt the urge to just write something, anything. So today I was at my doctor's office for a regular checkup. I purposely go to a different office (but same doctor) to try to avoid any painful flashbacks that would cause me to leave the office crying. I felt great when I got there; I was having a great day. When the nurse called me back to do my vitals, a very pregnant woman followed behind and sat across from me. Sometimes, I have a hard time still seeing these women, and that's only because I am just so sad for myself. Anyhow, I overheard her saying to the nurse that she was 38 weeks and 4 days along. Ah. I immediately just felt such jealousy, because I lost Ava at 38 weeks, 6 days. I remember being in her shoes just days before, so giddy and excited that my baby girl would be here anyday. Little did I know that 2 days later the rug would be ripped from beneath me and out of nowhere, my world would come crashing before my eyes. Anyhow, I watched her walk back to the exam room with the nurse, and they shut the door. Then, all I could hear was that baby's heartbeat. It was radiating through that entire office, at least it seemed to me. Like it was right in my face, just torturing me. What I wouldn't give to hear Ava's heartbeat just one more time!! Then all of the painful memories came flashing back to my mind. That moment the nurse couldn't find her heartbeat. And when the ultrasound showed a completely lifeless baby on the screen. Then having to see my sweet child for the first time, but in complete silence because her life was already over. Needless to say, I left in tears, but that's to be expected. This journey is a tough one, but I will get through it as best I can. Just another day in the life of me...

3 comments:

  1. The flashbacks are brutal. I have had a lot of them. I was at my OB's office on Tuesday and was scared that I would hear the heartbeat of another baby while I was in the waiting room. Luckily I didn't. I was just barely holding it together and that would have pushed me over the edge.

    This journey is so incredibly tough, but you aren't in it alone. I know it feels like that most of the time, but all of us other baby loss Mom's are here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the flashbacks. I seem to have them when I amtrying to fall asleep at night and it is torture. You wish so badly you could just be that other girl, blissfully unaware. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Katy...I feel the night time is the worst these days..and it sounds like that dr appt was just plain torture...I am so so sorry you had to experience that Diana, its just NOT fair at all...((bear hugs)).....wish you did not have to know this pain...my heart is with you *tears*

    ReplyDelete